Charged with Tax Evasion?
Tax evasion is a serious charge based not only on your actions, but also on the interpretation of their validity. There are multiple ways that a person could lower the amount of taxes they owe the government. They can be divided into two categories:
- Tax avoidance. This is the legal practice of using various rules, strategies and loopholes to reduce the amount of taxes owed. These could include claiming deductions, donating to charity or choosing convenient times for significant purchases. It is not illegal to simply take advantage of rules that benefit your financial situation.
- Tax evasion. When you perform illegal activities in order to avoid paying taxes it becomes a criminal act. This could include utilizing tax laws that don’t actually apply to you, falsifying information or failing to report income.
Tax laws are complex and confusing, and a tax evasion charge is not intended to attack minor mistakes. Your tax evasion attorney can examine the circumstances of your situation and determine if your actions were in fact illegal and how to explain what happened. When dealing with the IRS, it helps to have a knowledgeable and professional mediator to help you come to a positive resolution.
Tax Evasion Lawyer in San Diego
There are a few different situations that could necessitate hiring a San Diego tax evasion attorney to argue your case:
- Avoiding payment of taxes. If you file a return stating that you owe money, you have a legal obligation to make that payment. It is your responsibility to know the amount and actively take steps towards fulfilling your financial responsibility. Consciously choosing not to pay taxes owed can be considered tax evasion.
- Inaccurate reporting. Another common instance of tax evasion is misrepresenting information on your tax return. Some people choose to underreport their income, overstate deductions or simply falsify the numbers to their advantage.
- Failing to file. Ignoring the existence of tax laws altogether can also be considered tax evasion. Some political views include the belief that tax laws are unconstitutional and don’t apply to people in the United States. Others may fear that they owe money or are trying to conceal evidence of illegal activities.
Tax evasion is a serious charge that could come with financial consequences and even possible jail time. You deserve a qualified tax evasion attorney to ensure the best outcome for your case. Matthew Spiegel is an experienced and respected Phoenix criminal attorney who is ready to fight for your rights.
Procrastinating on a tax evasion charge can only make things worse. Contact a San Diego tax evasion attorney at Spiegel Law Group today by phone at (619) 338-0022. You can get your life back, and we can help.