DWI Charges in California
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) in the state of California is a complicated charge requiring an experienced San Diego criminal lawyer to help guide you through the process. A DWI attorney can examine the details of your case to determine the best possible defense strategy. Factors that may affect your case include:
- BAC. Your blood alcohol content is the standard used to determine whether or not you are over the legal limit to be operating a moving vehicle. The standard for most adults is .08% while commercial drivers are held to a limit of .04%
- Age. Drivers under the legal drinking age have even more restrictions, including a lower BAC required for conviction.
- Previous offenses.The severity of your punishment may increase based on the number of previous offenses on your record. This could lead to longer jail sentences, higher fines and extended suspension of your license.
- Excessive Injuries. If another party is injured or killed as a result of your actions it could add additional charges, such as vehicular manslaughter, to the charges you face.
Each of these factors could affect the way your DWI trial is approached. With hundreds of DWI defenses under his belt, Matthew Spiegel is well prepared for the tactics and strategies that the prosecution could use against you. He will fight to either dismiss your charges completely or determine the lowest level of punishment appropriate for your circumstances.
Fighting a DWI in San Diego
A drunk driving conviction comes with multiple consequences that could disrupt your personal, professional and financial well being. Hiring an experienced DWI attorney could help you avoid:
- Jail time. No one wants to spend time behind bars. A strong legal defense will let you keep your freedom intact and out of prison.
- Fines and penalties. A guilty verdict can be a costly outcome with fines up to $1000, court costs, and a number of additional monetary penalties.
- Suspension of license. Losing your license can throw off your day-to-day ability to commute to work, run errands or take care of your family.
- IncreasedInsurance rates. Even after your license is reinstated, having a DWI conviction on your record can cause your insurance rates to skyrocket.
Matthew Spiegel can examine the details of your DWI case and help you avoid undeserved punishment. His expertise in this field will ensure that your defense is tailored towards the best possible resolution for your situation. Contact a San Diego DWI attorney today for a consultation to discuss your options. You can reach Matthew Spiegel at(619) 338-0022.